Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Burnt Sugar Cake

According to Southern Cakes this cake dates back to the mid-nineteenth century. The national culinary treasure Jean Anderson traced it only as far back as the 1930'sin her landmark American Century cook book.

I have The American Woman's Cookbook published in 1946. The recipe is similar to the one we are baking except they used cake flour instead of all-purpose flour.















Unlike caramel cake, which is a yellow or white cake with a thick caramel frosting, a burnt sugar cake has caramel inside and out.


Here are some pictures of my version of The Southern Cakes Burnt Sugar Cake.

















A vintage cake with a vintage picture of my grandmother





































The cake was a hit with my husband and my friends. I thought it was good as well, except for the frosting was a bit gritty and too sugary. The cake itself was very moist and tasty.

4 comments:

  1. Your cakes looks so great next to that vintage photo. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica,
    Thank you very much for your comment.As you can see I love to bake and tend to my roses.
    Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool vintage cookbook have you made anything from it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Symphonious sweets, no I have not made anything from the book. I have several vintage books and I like to use them as references and compare some of the new recipes. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Sofia

    ReplyDelete